6/17/14

Oil Pulling: ya or nay...?

http://lifeinfashionwithlindaisy.blogspot.com/2014/06/oil-pulling-ya-or-nay.html


So I don't often write about non Fashion Fix related subjects, mostly because I am not good at 'lifestyle' blogging.  Nor do I care to be, ha!  But I'll make an acceptation here, only because this a crazy trend that just seems to good to be true.  Plus there are many friends, family members, and clients who are eagerly waiting my report, and this is the best way to reach the masses  :)

First, let me tell you what I did, well... oil pulling.  For those of you who have no idea what this is I'll explain.  I took 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, swished it around in my mouth for 20 minutes, then spit it out.  Let's talk about that for a minute, because it's weird.  If you are familiar with coconut oil you know that it is a solid when at room temperature, it does not liquify until it is heated up.  So when you scoop that tablespoon into your mouth, yes it is a solid!  After sitting in your mouth for about 10 - 15 seconds it becomes a liquid and then is much easier to swish around.

Let's also discuss the time and taste.  The time really isn't as bad as it sounds.  Most of the days I did it when I was getting in the shower and getting ready, I did it at night when I was futzing on my computer, or in the morning as I watched KLG & Hoda.  So you become distracted and 20 minutes goes by pretty quick.  As for the taste, there really wasn't much.  I know it sounds surprising but after about a minute or two the taste goes away.

Second, let me tel you why I did it.  I have heard people report that oil pulling helps to whiten your teeth.  Being a recovering bleaching addict, I thought this would be a nice healthy and natural alternative.  Other pullers have said that it helped to reduce their allergy sufferings.  How or why either of these two things happen, I have no idea.  But what the heck, I thought I'd give it a try.

As far as the teeth whitening, you can be the judge.


So, what's your judgement?  Maybe a shade or two lighter...?

Full dis-closer, I also used Arm & Hammer toothpaste and a Sonicare Toothbrush.




As for the other health benefit, my allergies, it did make a difference.  If there was a before and after picture of that, I would provide it.  But I don't know what that picture would be?  It was most notably effective when I would pull before bedtime.  With out pulling, I would wake up stuffy and with a dry throat (especially if the window was open during my slumber).  When I would pull before bed, I woke up clear and with less pressure.

All in all, I will continue oil pulling.  It's no mess, it doesn't taste bad, and I feel cleaner when I pull.





Keep In Touch
facebook  //  twitter  //  instagram





















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many days/weeks apart are these before and after pictures?

Unknown said...

If I remember it was about a week!